Frequently Asked Questions


Can I bring a family member/partner with me?

At this stage family members/partners will not be able to travel through the flights and quarantine arrangements, organised through FCM Travel. Family members/partners can travel to Australia if organised separately.

What if my passport is expired?

If your passport has expired, you will need to apply for renewal through your local passport office. The paperwork and visa application requirements are different depending on the nationality of your passport and can take up to 20 working days in some cases. Please consider fast-track passport renewal services if applicable

What if my visa is expired?

If your visa has expired, you will need to apply for renewal through the Australian Department of Home Affairs. You will require a valid visa in order to register. 

What if I have a valid passport but my visa is in an expired passport?

When registering make sure to advice the details of your valid visa, you will not need to note the expired passport details. 

When travelling you will need to make sure you travel with both the expired passport and a new valid passport. 

What happens if I can not travel on the date indicated in my email?

If you are unable to travel on the date indicated in your invite make sure to select the "Unable to travel at this time" link in your invite and enter your available travel dates. A new date for your travel will then be selected based on your requirements.

Do I need to be vaccinated to register?

Students must be fully vaccinated, and provide evidence that they are fully vaccinated, at point of registration. Students who cannot evidence their vaccination will be unable to book a flight.

What are the requirements for vaccination certificates to be accepted?

  • be legible, clear and in English (if translation is required, there is a free translating service on the Department of Home Affairs website
  • indicate your vaccination status with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the TGA, including dates of administration
  • include your personal details (e.g. name, date of birth, etc) which match the details of your student visa
Is there a preference for the digital EU COVID vaccine certificate or the respective EU country's own digital vaccine certificate?

Both certificates will be accepted as long as they meet all requirements for vaccine certificates.

What is the Australian Travel Declaration and when should I complete it? 

You are required to submit an Australian Travel Declaration at least 72 hours before your departure for Australia. The Australia Travel Declaration collects your contact details in Australia, flight details, quarantine requirements and your health status. This information helps the Australian Government determine your quarantine arrangements and also allows the relevant health departments to contact you if someone you have travelled with tests positive for COVID-19. If you do not complete the declaration you may not be able to board your flight, or you may experience delays when you arrive in Australia.

For more information about completing an Australian Travel Declaration please click here

Do I need to apply for a travel exemption to enter Australia?

All passengers travelling to Australia must receive a travel exemption from Australian Border Force to enter the country. 

The FCM Travel Team will be applying for this travel exemption on your behalf. The details supplied in your registration will be used for this application. Once approved you will receive a copy of your travel exemption in your "Reminder" email.

Am I required to be vaccinated to return to NSW?

Based on current health authorities' advice, only students who are fully vaccinated with a vaccine recognised by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) will be eligible to return to NSW as part of the NSW International Student Arrivals Pilot Plan. This is to help protect the safety of the NSW community and the students themselves. The TGA has confirmed that CoronaVac (Sinovac) and Covishield (AstraZeneca/Serum Institute of India) vaccines are to be considered 'recognised vaccines' for incoming international travellers to be regarded as appropriately vaccinated.

Students who have been vaccinated with two doses of vaccines recognised by TGA will be considered fully vaccinated for the purpose of travelling to Australia.

Are digital vaccine certificates accepted?

Yes, as long as all other requirements are met.

Is it mandatory that the certificates are translated by the free translating service on the Department of Home Affairs website?

No it is not mandatory. Students can also obtain translations from organisations such as NAATI, University partner education agents.


What is my luggage allowance? 

Cathay Pacific
Carry-on Baggage: 1x piece up to 7kgs
Checked Baggage: 2x pieces up to 30kgs total

China Southern
Carry-on Baggage: 1x piece up to 5kgs
Checked Baggage: 2x pieces up to 23kgs each

Singapore Airlines
Carry-on Baggage: 1x piece up to 7kgs
Checked Baggage: up to 25kgs total

Can I purchase additional luggage allowance? 

Yes, additional luggage can be purchased at the airport check-in counter when you check-in for your flight. 

Select the airline you are travelling with below for excess baggage charges:

Cathay Pacific
China Southern Airlines
Singapore Airline

Can I track my flights?

Yes, you and your family can track your flights’ progress by using these websites:

Cathay Pacific
China Southern
Singapore Airlines

Use the flight numbers as shown on your itinerary. The website may take some time to refresh and update once the flights have departed. Therefore the flights may not immediately appear until after they have departed.

Can I request a specific seat?

Seat requests can be made at the airport when you check in for your flight.

What can't I bring on-board? 

Fresh fruit and homemade food can’t be brought into Australia. Other items like prescription medicines and duty free items can be brought into Australia if they are declared.

Please read this website for a full list of what can and can’t be brought into Australia.

What do I need for travel? 


  • Australian student visa 
  • Valid passport with at least 6 months validity 
  • Face Mask 


  •  Hygiene items such as hand sanitiser and anti-bacterial wipes. Be sure to stick to standard allowances for carrying liquids on board: Liquids, aerosols and gels will only be allowed in cabin baggage if they’re kept in containers of not more than 100ml each, even if the containers are only partially filled. Containers must be carried in a clear, re-sealable plastic bag. The total volume of the bag must not exceed 1 litre.

When do I need to wear a mask?

Face masks are required to be worn through all areas of all International Airports. Passengers are also required to wear medical surgical or advanced masks during check-in, during boarding, in the aircraft cabin, during disembarkation and when directed by the airport team or cabin crew. If you are using N95 masks, ensure it is a model which does not a breathing valve. 

Remember to bring along extra mask to ensure that you have sufficient supply throughout your journey, and to replace your face mask once it is damp. Before you dispose of your face mask, wrap it in tissue paper or put it in a plastic bag and seal tightly before disposing of it in a closed bin. Remember to wash your hands afterwards

What happens if I miss my flight? 

Only one flight from your country of origin to Australia is arranged. If you miss your flight to Australia immediately contact the FCM Travel team on +61 2 7922 2159.

What happens if my flight is delayed or cancelled?

If your flight is cancelled prior to your date of departure you will be notified by FCM and new flights will be arranged for you. 

If your flight is delayed on your day of departure you will be notified by the airline and a new departure time will be advised. Please make sure to listen to announcements and speak to airline staff at the airport for information on your delay.

What happens if I get sick ? 

Prior to date of departure: If you start showing any signs of illness prior to your departure date, make sure to get tested for COVID-19. If you receive a positive result you will be unable to travel to Australia and will need to notify the FCM Travel Team immediately.

During travel : You will be screened for signs of illnesses, and asked to declare your health status at your home-country departure airport. If you are exhibiting any symptoms of respiratory illnesses, you will not be allowed to board your flight and will need to notify the FCM Travel Team.

If you get sick while on board your flight to Australia you will need to alert a member of staff who will separate you from other passengers. Upon arrival to Australia you will be assessed by medical staff and required to complete a COVID-19 test. 

Do I need a Green Code (China Only)? 

Yes, please ensure you have completed your registration before going to the airport to depart for Singapore. Please scan the QR code below to be taken to the registration: 

Upon arrival at Guangzhou Baiyun International Airport, Suikang Code for Guangzhou residents or Yuekang Code for Non-Guangzhou residents must be shown to the airport staff before entering the airport. 

Students are required to register on Wechat mini APP – 粤省事 and declare their health circumstance and locations they’ve been in the past 14 days. Only those with a Green Code will be permitted to enter the airport. Any with a Red Code will not be allowed to enter the airport.

Do I need to do a COVID-19 test? 

Yes, all students must take a COVID-19 96 hours and 48 hours before their scheduled departure. 

96 Hours before departure - This swab test can be completed at your local testing facility and does not need to present before your flight. If you received positive COVID result you will be unable to travel and will need to contact the FCM Travel Team immediately. 

48 Hours before departure - All travellers transiting through Singapore, including Singapore Citizens and permanent residents, will need to take a pre-departure Covid-19 PCR test within 48 hours before the scheduled flight departure for Singapore and obtain a negative result. 

The Covid-19 PCR test result memo must be obtained from an internationally accredited laboratory. It must also be in English, and state the following:

1. a negative test result;
2. test date;
3. the name of the traveller as indicated in his/her passport; and
4. at least one other detail of the traveller such as:

  • date of birth
  • nationality/citizenship
  • passport number
  • national identity number

If you have a stopover will need two copies of your negative test result, one for each of your flights. Please ensure you pack these in your carry-on luggage.

If I need to cancel can I have a refund?

The specific cancellation conditions relating to your booking will be advised at the time of registration. A summary of all cancellation conditions is detailed below.

Charter Flights

  • Refunds only permitted due to failure of COVID test or due to Commonwealth, State or Territory or overseas government action resulting in the cancellation of flights and/or your eligibility to travel. Total FCM/AVMIN cancellation fees of $135 will be deducted from the refund amount due to the cancelling student.
  • Refunds due to failure of COVID test can only be processed if the seat can be resold to a standby student. Refund requests must be made to FCM & your university as soon as a positive COVID test result is received, ideally no later than 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Standby students can take the place of a student cancelling up to 12 hours prior to departure.
  • Individual refunds not permitted for other causes.
  • FCM Booking Fee is non-refundable. 
Group Bookings on Commercial Flights
  • Refunds due to failure of COVID test or due to Commonwealth, State or Territory or overseas government action resulting in the cancellation of flights and/or your eligibility to travel. Total FCM/airline cancellation fees of $625 will be deducted from the refund amount due to the cancelling student.
  • Refunds permitted due to failure of COVID-19 test. Total cancellation fees, as below, will be deducted from the refund amount due to the cancelling student.
    • FCM: $25
    • China Southern fee: AU$50
    • Cathay Pacific fee: US$70
    • Refund requests must be made to FCM & your university as soon as a positive COVID test result is received, ideally no later than 48 hours prior to departure.
  • Refunds for other causes permitted up to 14 days before departure. Total cancellation fees, as below, will be deducted from the refund amount due to the cancelling student.
    • FCM: $25
    • China Southern fee: AU$600
  • FCM Booking Fee is non-refundable
Refunds may take up to 12 weeks processing time


What are FCM's Booking Terms and Conditions? 

Click here to view FCM's Booking Terms and Conditions

Do I need to arrange travel insurance? Is it compulsory?

Travel insurance is not compulsory but is strongly recommended.